Cape Town

Cape Town Photos

08 Jan 2009

Alex Van Heerden


Hey Alex, you have now gone beyond "Droƫland", leaving us with a rich heritage of your creativity.

Where ever you are, hope you will still be able to do the "Vastrap".

You will be remembered...



Tributes:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sad news: Alex van Heerden died in a car accident. This is a big loss for
South African music. Not only was he a brilliant musician but a reconciling
wanderer between those diverse musical worlds as Boeremusick, Jazz,
Ambient, Electronica or local and international ethnic music. Alex, we will
dearly miss you.

We send our most heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Regards

Andreas, George and Regina and all musicians of Jazz Potjie Projects

Jazz Potjie Projects
9 Bath Street
8001 Cape Town - Gardens
Fon: +27 (0)21 426-1093
Fax: +27 (0)21 426-1094
Mail: andreas.wellmann@paso-partners.com
Web: http://www.jpp.co.za
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is sad and distressing news indeed. I was so looking forward to what would come of Alex's stirling work at Solmes-Delta farm in Franschoek. He was a gifted individual
and a brilliant new South African, who's example placed him ahead of his time.

Regards
Paul Sedres

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I settled in Capetown in 1996, and frequented the Adderley Street jazz dive, Alex stood stoically with his trumpet on stage...with the likes of Robbie and Hilton et al, who introduced me to the local [live] Cape sounds. I found this rather interesting - a young Afrikaaner boy who obviously did not have the facial or body 'jive' of his band members... or of the audience. I thought, "Alex, move your body...just a little bit, maan!"

Several years later, I met Alex in a Sea Point taxi as a fellow passenger. "Hey Alex", I said, "I like your style - where did you learn this stuff?" I was trying to sound 'local', too. Alex replied simply, " with my township bros, just listening to them". I looked again. This quiet, humble, blue-eyed male Afrikaaner? I started listening, too.

A few years later, Alex invited me to a Fish Hoek gig whereby he would 'present' his accordion gramadoelas concept. His accordion straps broke that night, but he did well to salvage the sounds, and we had a good laugh! I was a learner - he explained to me 'gramadoelas'; that he wanted to bring the (misunderstood) Afrikaaner motifs into the present, i.e. fusion with other local Cape/South African beats/rhythms to create an authentic South African style. I listened...and kept listening.

Wow, what sounds, I thought, as I watched Alex mature and produce.... Another young musician trying to grow South African music....

I hope those, like me, who have appreciated the little dynamic change to music and its accompanying spirituality Alex has brought to us.

Alex, you can not be forgotten; just forgiven for leaving us so early in your (and our) musical growth! Blessings to you, Alex, you brave young soul! You have taught me so much..... I will sorely miss you.....

Carol Martin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Links:
http://www.frontierrogue.com/
http://www.myspace.com/alexvanheerden
http://www.coffeebeans.co.za/music_alex.htm
http://www.solms-delta.co.za/main/alex-van-heerden.html
http://ingridwolfaardt.book.co.za/blog/2009/01/08/alex-van-heerden-forever-young/
http://whatsonsa.co.za/portal/index.php/general-news/alex-van-heerden-has-died-in-a-car-accident.html

0 comments:


"Jazz and freedom go hand in hand. That explains it. There isn't any more to add to it. If I do add to it, it gets complicated. That's something for you to think about. You think about it and dig it. You dig it..." Thelonious Monk
"Jazz and freedom go hand in hand. That explains it. There isn't any more to add to it. If I do add to it, it gets complicated. That's something for you to think about. You think about it and dig it. You dig it..." Thelonious Monk

Hamba Kahle Winston Mankunku Ngozi - Tributes

PASS photostream